Having the right tools for the job makes all the difference — so here are the five must-have apps every Tradie needs in their business toolbox.
Tradies and construction professionals will agree that investing in the right tools for the job pays back tenfold in time, money and effort. Investing in software for your trade business is no different. Having the best software on hand to help you manage your business will also literally save you time, money and stress.
You didn’t go into business to be broke or so stressed your head may explode, so why not let a handful of easy-to-use apps help you get things sorted?
Let’s get into it!
PayPal – take payments easily
More than just a means to satisfy eBay addictions, PayPal is now the world’s favourite online payments system. Fast, safe and smart, the platform makes sending money and receiving invoices a breeze.
Why do you need PayPal?
- Faster payments: Using a bank card or PayPal account, clients can pay you in seconds through their phone or internet browser.
- Swipe payments on your smartphone: Ever wished your smartphone could process payments? Thanks to PayPal Here, it can. Simply attach the lightweight encrypted card reader to your smartphone, and empower your employees with the means to process payments, on-the-go.
- Fixed Rates: No nasty surprises here. With PayPal, you lock in fx rates based on how much you sell, and where your customers are located. If you deal with lots of residential customers lift your payments game with PayPal and drastically improve your cashflow in the process
Xero – all your accounting sorted
Seriously beautiful cloud-based accounting software, Xero is Kiwi brilliance, at its nest. Now used by more than 700,000 subscribers across the globe, it’s the solution of choice for businesses operating in every sector, including tool-spinning tradies.
Why do you need Xero?
- All-in-one accounting and payroll: Keep things simple with accounting and payroll, rolled into one – dump the double entry.
- Automatic bank feeds: Forget having cash float around in limbo for days. With Xero, automatic bank feeds reveal the exact location of ingoing and outgoing payments, in minutes.
- An ecosystem of 500+ apps: By connecting with other powerful software apps in the Xero App Marketplace you can make your life even easier.
- Verging on addictive, Xero is pretty much setting the global standard for accounting made easy.
Tradify – easy job management
Those in the trades aren’t famous for being organised… well now they can be thanks to Tradify. Thousands of builders and brickies, painters and plumbers, sparkies and security specialists, locksmiths and landscapers, glaziers, carpet layers and many more all around the world are using Tradify to manage their workflows from quoting, time & material tracking to invoicing.
As a purpose-built platform, Tradify brings a mass of time-saving tools to the table.
Why you need to use Tradify?
- Easy Job Management: From initial quotes to final invoices, Tradify helps you stay on top of your workflow with powerful job tracking features.
- Smart Scheduling: Run a tight ship with smart scheduling features that ensure teams arrive on time, every time.
- Quick Quoting: Churn out fast and accurate quotes using custom templates and imported supplier price lists.
- Easy Invoicing: By collating time sheets and receipts you can get clients to cough up ASAP. Get paid on time, every time.
Sync it all with Xero: Enjoy streamlined number crunching thanks to integration with Xero. The result? Tidy books, and a beaming accountant. Read more about Tradify’s job management app.
Whatever your craft, Tradify’s powerful job management features make managing your trade business smarter, faster and easier.
Debtor Daddy – automate receivables
In the small business galaxy, cash flow is what makes the world go around. As a trades or field services worker, the absolute last thing you want to be doing is chasing up clients for cash.
That’s where Debtor Daddy rides in with an automated receivables management platform that actively tracks overdue invoices, and issues reminders to your clients.
Why do you need Debtor Daddy?
- Automatically remind customers to pay – no more awkward phone calls
- Debtor Daddy keeps track of what’s due and overdue then automatically reminds your customers to pay via email.
- Increase cash flow and customer loyalty at the same time
- Customise reminders to each customer to increase cash flow and loyalty at the same time.
- Consistently, persistently and eloquently get your money
- Asking for money you’ve earned doesn’t need to be difficult. Use Debtor Daddy to send friendly, personalised and automated reminders.
- Debtor Daddy is super easy to set up and it will start delivering value to your business right from the outset.
iAuditor – site checklists
As any trades or construction professional will know, auditing is all-important. Engineered to build checklists, conduct inspections and manage reports, iAuditor is the latest stroke of genius from our mates at SafetyCulture. With a goal of saving time and lives, the company creates innovative, low-cost mobile solutions that cut inspection times in half, without compromising on duty of care.
Why do you need iAuditor?
- Create customised checklists templates Miss nothing with customised ‘drag and drop’ checklist templates that bring logic and order to your inspections.
- Record notes on site: Get useful and auditable insights for everyone on the team with simple tools for adding arrows, diagrams and drawings to a checklist
- Automated reports: Sign off inspections and receive automated reports, in seconds. You can then export and email in PDF, CSV, and MS Word at the touch of a button making compliance and auditing a breeze
No doubt about it, the advent of smartphones has signaled a new era for trades business toolkit. As well as a ute, a hard hat and a fluoro vest, leveraging smart technologies should make a definite appearance in the ‘to do’ lists of any tradie.
So what are you waiting for? Hit the app store, and get downloading.
Author: Denym Bird – Denym works at Tradify where he helps Tradies manage the day-to-day of their business on the go with their powerful Xero connected apps.